What is the Sport of Paintball?
Paintball is a combination of Chess, dodgeball and Cops & Robbers. The object of the game is to out think your opponent, while in quest to capture their flag and bring it back to your flag. You must accomplish this while you and your opponent are trying to tag each other out with paintballs launched by CO2 powered marking guns. It's safe, fun and affordable.
Paintball is played recreationally and professionally throughout Asia, Europe, Australia, and North & South America. Because of its international appeal, it is projected to be an Olympic sport soon. Paintball as a sport is approaching it's 20th anniversary.
What are Paintballs?
Paintballs are biodegradable, water soluble and non-toxic food quality filling inside a round gelatin capsule similar to those used in vitamins or bath beads. Paintballs clean up with soap and water.
Is Paintball Safe?
Organized Paintball has a very good safety record. The injury rate is less than half the injuries of more familiar sports like: Tennis, Golf, Soccer, and Volleyball. It's even safer than bowling. At Jungle Cat Paintball we are safety certified the players abide by very strict safety rules. A violation will lead to expulsion. We have a staff of referees to help enforce and remind the players of the safety rules. Note: Every player must go through a safety orientation before playing.
What kind of safety equipment is required?
The APL requires every participant to use goggles designed for paintball. At Jungle Cat Paintball we use a goggle/mask combination that provides greater comfort and safety . The goggle/mask combination offers protection for the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and face. We also require a barrel plug that is used to plug the marker's barrel to help protect against accidental discharges.
What are marking guns like?
Co2 powered marking guns come in an array of designs. For our purposes we will describe the rental markers at Jungle Cat Paintball. Jungle Cat Paintball uses two types: A tournament grade pump action marker and a semi-automatic marker. With the pump action marker, every time you want to shoot a paintball, you will have to move the handle back and then forward again to ready the marker. With the Semi-automatic, this action is automatically done for you.
Who plays paintball?
Paintball is mostly intellect; modern paintball equipment has negated most physical inequities. We have ten year olds playing along side their parents and fat out of shape old boys, playing next to "prime physical specimens". One of our usual inquiries is whether women can play - OF COURSE! The things that make people players are their wits and determination, not their physical attributes.
Does it hurt when you get hit with a paintball?
Using proper safety equipment and quality paintballs on certified fields, your injury rate is listed at less than 1/1000. Judging from the millions of participants each year, and the sport's sky rocketing growth, the occasional "stinger" doesn't drive people away from the sport.
Do you make special accommodations for youth or groups?
Jungle Cat Paintball is safety certified for players ten and older [with parental consent]. When appropriate, we separate players by experience so the old guys aren't "newby bashing". We also offer special parties for youth and free Tactics & Safety Programs for new players [call for schedule].
As an option, to keep costs to a minimum for the youth, we also offer games like "30 Ball" where each player gets 30 balls per game thus stretching your dollar. Upon request we will lower the marker's power even farther then our norm to reduce the paintball's impact further
SMALL GROUPS WELCOME! Another unique feature, we schedule small private parties for groups of eight rental players or more. This includes 3 hours on our dynamic fields.
How do you play?
After registration, you will go through an orientation explaining the safety rules and game formats. You can then pick up your equipment and follow the referees to the playing fields, where they will explain game formats and rules. Index
How many fields do you have?
Jungle Cat Paintball has 11 different fields. Spectator/Speedball field, an Inflatable field, Bunker Hill, Hybrid Speedball field, Tower field, Bridge field, Cemetery field, Witches Gultch, Tornado field, Ghost Town, and Beach Head.
Our 6 Forest fields are set in a mature forest with rolling topography. Structures are also provided in strategic locations with huge trees shading out much of the light. Our 5 Concept fields sport extra large barriers, closer together, and lights for night play.
- The Spectator/Speedball field is right up front 30' from the parking lot behind a safety net. Sit in the shade of the pavilion, sip a cool beverage and watch your favorite players on our fast, and furious balanced field. But make sure you bring your gaming clothes along with you because you won't want to watch long.
- An advanced player favorite is our Air Inflatable field. This field contains 28 inflated objects strategically placed on the field. The objects range in size and shape with one common attribute, they offer many attacking angles making this another field for the quick and the brave. Plus the objects are easily setup in different locals, so you will be playing on a new field virtually every week.
- Bunker Hill is a favorite with rec ball players. It sports sand bag bunkers, 30 fox holes, and woods. It makes for an excellent attack/defend game.
- Tower field is used for smaller groups and competition when wooded play is desired. Elevate your play in the tower, or sneak around through the thickets.
- The Bridge field centers around the perfect sized marsh hole. A land ismas on the north end links the back woods to the main woods. A bridge on the south keeps you dry on that end or if you don't mind head straight across.
- Remember whistling in a grave yard? Well you won't want to be making any extra noise going through our Cemetery field. This year will see the addition of more grave markers, some unfilled graves and an mausoleum.
- Our first two fields were destroyed by the '98 tornado. They have finally been thinned out a bit, and split back up into Witches Gultch and of the Tornado field. Fear not brave ones it is still thick as dog's hair and sports a ton of down timber to hide in. After the foliage appears this spring we will re-assess our efforts and make ajustments if needed.
- Our Hybrid Speedball is played on a football sized field filled with large barriers between 20-30 feet apart. This movement friendly design cultivates excitement game after game.
- Another new addition to our increasingly dynamic field is the Ghost Town. What did most western towns have in them? Wagons, water troughs, hay bales, wood piles, water barrels, a Barber Shop, Jail, Saloons, Bank, Hotel, Livery, Butcher Shop, and Church with a bell tower! You just might run into old Wyatt down at the O.K. Coral.
- Beach Head: Imagine yourself standing shoulder to shoulder in a WW II class LST headed for an amphibious beach landing. The craft's driver gives you the heads up as it crawls up the beach as far as it dares. Then the doors fly open. Projectiles are flying everywhere, causing mass confusion. You take a split second to glance at your buddy, he takes one in the shoulder, and you are awaken by the reality that you have to get out of this thing, and the only cover you can find is on the Beach Head. There you can see dirt berms, and sea walls you can crawl behind and pilling cris-crossing fouling up the opponent's shooting lanes. From there with teamwork you can move your way right up to their sand bag and camo netted bunkers.
What is the Three Shot Rule?
Our business is based around a commitment to entertainment not selling paintballs. The high quality, high output markers on the market today are welcomed [I've got one]. They are entertaining to shoot, but players using them have a responsibility to respect other players desire's for entertainment also. A majority of players do not think it is entertaining to get hit by 9 paintballs in a second. We have been pioneering the three shot rule for years. It's fair and it works. It you get hit more then three times by a player in a game, the shooter is out not you. Players don't mind shooting 3 shot strings, or getting hit by the same. Plus common sense would lead us to believe it's safer.
Do you play at night?
We were the first to offer lit fields. We schedule parties for any shift and have had some truly extreme requests that we have catered to, like an all night game in the winter. This season will see all night games again with food, fire, and fun. Bring your sleeping bag for the best sleepover of your life!
Can we use our own paintballs to play with on the fields?
Players have the option on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month during open play, to bring their own paintballs to shoot. They will be subject to a $9.48 surcharge to do so. NOTE: You must shoot our paintballs in our paintball markers.
What are Friendly Competition Tournaments?
Jungle Cat Paintball gives our players practice tournaments- Friendly Competition Tournaments. These are hopperball tournaments without the harshness that generally scares players away from tournament play. Their is a limit to the number of paintballs you can shoot in a game, plus we charge nominal tournament fees and the prizes are given away as door prizes so everyone has the same chance to win, thus there is no reason to be a hard case.
What is the Total Package Design?
For decades the Jungle Cats have designed, built, and played high skill, low cost, player friendly formats one of which the industry has coined hopperball. But our experience and efforts haven't stopped there. We operate using our Total Package Design.
- Low Cost- first we start out shooting fresh, tournament quality paintballs. These balls shoot, fly, and break on target many times better then cheap paintballs. The cost difference is small to begin with, but the fact that they outperform other balls results in a cheaper days play. If you have to shoot 10 times as often with a cheap ball, to hit and break one on target where is the value? [The average player shoots 500 balls a day during open play]
- Comfort- because of the superior marking qualities of the high quality paint we use, we are allowed to reduce our velocities and still achieve excellent performance ratings. The velocity reduction translates into nearly a 30% reduction in energy on impact. Less pain!
- Bigger Barriers Closer Together- the reduced energy allows us to move the barriers on fields closer together. Our barriers are much bigger then the norm which means you are on your feet able to move better. This all translates into more stuff happening, and more adrenaline pumping.
The Total Package Design equals more- comfort, exciting movement, and affordability! Note: We go to great lengths to protect the freshness and quality of our paint which is critical to our Total Package Design and we must require that paintballs be bought here, fresh daily except when explicitly expressed.